Most of the flies I have been tying lately need eyes and I am always looking for new options.
I’ve got nothing bad to say about Clear Cure Eyes. They have an unbelievably realistic look that I have not seen with any other product on the market.
How do Clear Cure Eyes stack up to the competition? Here’s a breakdown of the rough price I found for some different kind of eyes:
- Montana Fly Company FISHIZE – $3.50 per /20
- Montana Fly Company 3-D Eyes – $2.00 per /20
- Jurassic Eyes – $4.00 per /20
- Standard Holographic 3-D Eyes – $3.00 per/20
- Fish Skull Living Eyes – $3.25 per/25
- 3D Big Fish Eyes – $4.00 per /18-20
- Clear Cure Eyes – $4.50 per/20
Okay, so they are the most expensive on the market. However, it’s not by much – and what is another 50 cents?
How about Size Selection (available on average):
- Montana Fly Company FISHIZE 10.0mm 8.0mm & 6.0mm
- Montana Fly Company 3-D Eyes 8.0mm, 6.0mm, 4.0mm, 3.5mm, 3.0mm, & 2.5mm
- Jurassic Eyes 3.5mm, 4mm, 6mm, & 8mm
- 3D Big Fish Eyes 10mm & 13mm
- Standard Holographic 3-D Eyes 1/8”, 3/16”, ¼”, 5/16”, 5/32” & 7/32”
- Fish Skull Living Eyes 15.0mm, 10.0mm, 8.5mm, 7.0mm, 6.0mm, 5.0mm, 4.0mm, & 3.0mm
- Clear Cure Eyes 5.0mm, 6.0mm, 8.0mm, 10.0mm, 12.7mm, & 15.0mm
CC Eyes have a nice size selection that is comparable or better than the selection for most other brands.
Lava, Monster, Solar Flare, and Peacock are some of my favorite styles and they come in every size imaginable, which makes it great for doing small flies like Thunder Creeks. Medium-size eyes work quite well for patterns like the Murdich Minnows or the Alters B.J. Minnow. The larger eyes are great for big pike and musky patterns.
Getting the most out of your eyes
In my opinion, the best way to use these eyes (or adhesive eyes for that matter) is to first super glue the eye onto the fly and then coat it with Clear Cure Goo. It would take a hell of a mighty fish to tear off the eyes now. Clear Cure Eyes do have adhesive on them but it just not durable enough on its own. But this is no different than any 3D eye on the market I am aware of. If I missed one please let me know!
The final call
In my opinion they are the most realistic fly tying eyes on the market. To be honest the photo we posted and the other ones you find online do not do justice to the beauty of these eyes close-up.
If you get a chance I would say give them a try, they are totally worth the money.